The default Montgomery Field KMYF airport is great... but requires improvement: most taxiways and signs are inaccurate, some taxi blue lights obstruct movements, buildings are missing, there are windsocks everywhere... etc. Here's my first updated airport started in Jan'21.
KMYF is a public airport six miles north of downtown San Diego. The airport has three runways and lot of ramps and hangars. It's one of the busiest airports in the U.S. for small aircraft and has a number of flying clubs, flight schools, plus business turboprops and jets based there. You also find San Diego Fire Department and the famous King Schools.
Thanks so much to all the simmers who appreciate and supports our passion and encourage me to build this scenery. If you liked it, please write a comment!
- New taxiway names. C, A, H, G1, M, E are misplaced or non-existent in the stock MSFS version. They are updated in this scenery and are similar the official airport ground chart.
- New and correct taxiway signs : all signs have been reviewed and updated (see Caution)
- New Custom taxiway signs (Noise abatement departure, warning when entering airport taxiway)
- Windsock at the right location.
- Missing buildings have been added according to the Bing Map photorealistic texture.
- The underlying apron object covering most of the airport Bing texture is resized and now reveals iconic locations: business area with FSDO and Marv's Golden, Casa Machado, west side of airport (to be continued), Gibbs FBO and more to come if you enjoy it! Let me know thru comments
- A lot more of living small objects and details to greatly enhance immersion.
- New CrownAir FBO
- "Executive AirPark" previously known as Gibbs Flying service ;(
- Coast Air Center FBO on the west side of the field. I have very limited info on this new area. More picture/info are welcome if you have some!
- Big TAXI letters on ground taxiway Hotel
- Gibbs information sign on taxiway Juliet
- Fences added to close the airport
- A Boeing Stearman sits in the apron where it's in real
- Clean autogen trees the Qualcomm stadium (now demolished)
- Fix Approach Lights 10L/28R (MALSR 5 Strobes/REIL). Thanks to comments of Swinden
- Customized control tower by BullFrogSim. A BIG THANK YOU for this awesome object!
- San Diego Police Department Air Support Able Base with starting helipad positions
How to install? Unzip the file into your Community folder. Once installed go to KMYF as usual, the scenery is overlayed over the existing default one.
If you love the San Diego area, you should also consider my other sceneries:
- KSEE Gillespie : https://flightsim.to/file/36679/gillespie-field-ksee
- KSDM Brown Field: https://flightsim.to/file/38035/brown-field-muni-kdsm
- KOKB Oceanside: https://flightsim.to/file/37328/oceanside-box-maxwell-memorial-airfield-kokb
- KRNM Ramona: https://flightsim.to/file/25710/ramona-krnm
- L08 Borrego : https://flightsim.to/file/38247/san-diego-borrego-valley-l08
- L18 Fallbrook Community Airpark : https://flightsim.to/file/63441/fallbrook-community-airpark-l18
- The Bush Trip "San Diego VFR Transition" : https://flightsim.to/file/6276/vfr-transitions-at-san-diego
Back in January 2021, it was my first airport. Don't expect high quality payware content. I'm totally new to the MSFS Scenery Editor mode. Feel free to comment and share any mistakes to improve this first work. I'm a member of a flying club at Montgomery Field (Plus One Flyers) but I leave in France. I fly at San Diego several times per year but my real experience of certain areas is null or very limited. For example, I never went (in real) in the west side at LIMA or GOLF. I have a lot of video materials (check my Youtube channel) but I lack of shots at location... I never went. If you have pictures usefull to update this scenery, feel free to contact me.
This airport's update contains 99% of stock objects except of the great control tower by BullFrogSim. No handmade texture or 3D objects have been designed, because It's far beyond my design skill ;) (update Jan 2022: except for some specific taxiway signs and minor objects like Golf Carts). They give a feeling of "it looks like what we have in real". The Bing Map ground photorealist texture is not up to date. For example some ground markings, the old Crown Air building, G1 taxiway are wrong compare to the reality. Thus, this scenery is a mix between the date of the Bing texture and today's real world. Even after the World Update 10.
After updating all the taxiways, which were the main initial objectve, I started to play with the MSFS scenery editor and enhanced other aeras. It wass just a first try and play as my first scenery. Let me know in the comment! Known issues:
- Some red marked hold shorts do not appeared or are wider than in real. It's a SDK limitation.
- Some blue lights have been totally removed to clear the taxiway path. Unfortunately I didn't succeed in putting some at the right place. SDK limitation?
Back in January 2021 : tools used is ADE Beta 12 for MSFS to generate the initial .xml project file, then everything is generated with the included MSFS SDK editor. Thank you to Antoine D., Manuel G. and Patrick M. for their Beta tests. And Virginie S. for the local pictures!